Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1992 LS start electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 LS start electrical problem

Hi all. My integra is a 92 LS with 162k Drove like a dream until recently.

When I try starting my car, the main relay clicks once and the engine light stays on. The fuel pump will not prime.

When the battery is low, I also noticed if I turn on the turn signal to the turn left position, I get this buzzing noise from the relay when starting and all the dash lights buzz/flicker then blink in unison. When fully charge is doesn't do it anymore, but still might be a symptom. Something wrong electrical?

Also the rear defogger would randomly come on prior to this happening. Now when I turn the ignition off the rear defogger / defroster switch light comes on and the main relay clicks once.

I've checked all the fuses both below the dash and the engine box and they are all fine. I also replaced the main relay. This is about as far as my knowledge goes.

I don't know if its the fuel pump or an electrical problem. Was trying to avoid the local dealership cuz they tend to jack up the expenses on everything. Is there a way to test the fuel pump?

I can make a video of what it does if needed.

Please help....

Last edited by drno; 06-05-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: adding
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 1992 LS start electrical problem

Sounds like maybe more the one problem.

Let's start with the fuel pump, you can bypass the PGM-FI Main Relay, you need a meter or 12V test light to confirm but a paper clip as a jumper will work for an initial test.

Unplug the PGM-FI Main Relay, use a jumper to connect the yellow/white lead, [fuse 38 - 10A hot at all times, in engine bay fuse box] and the two yellow/black lead, one at a time, one is the fuel injectors the other is the fuel pump power lead, if the pump turns on obviously it is good, if not, you need the meter or test light to confirm the yellow/white lead has power.

Assuming pump worked, [yellow/white lead had power] you can use the pump to test for power on the black/yellow lead, [fuse 24 - 15A, hot in run and start, in under dash fuse box] when ign. switch is in run or start, use the jumper to connect the fuel pump lead with the black/yellow, or use the meter/test light if you have one.

You will also need to test for power on the blue/white lead, [fuse 18 - 7.5, hot in start only, in engine bay fuse box].

If all 3 powers are good and fuel pump works when bypassing the PGM-FI Main Relay, plug the relay back in and use the jumper to supply a ground to the green/black lead, fuel pump should turn on, if so you may have a problem with the ECU/ECM or wiring between it and the relay.

The "buzzing" and "flicker" is normal when batt. is low.

The problem with the rear window defog should be unrelated to the PGM-FI Main Relay, are you sure it is the main relay clicking once or is it the rear window defog relay clicking "on".

Problems with rear window defog are almost always due to a problem with the ICU. 94
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks man, yeah i would check for power to the fuel pump, but when you turn the key on, there should be a noise from it priming, if you can get a friend to sit near the lower back portion of the car and wait for the pump, that should be all you need. As for the defogger, that sounds like an exposed wire, a lot of the time where wires cross, they rub and expose eachother, if the accessory wire is touching a positive wire, it will activate, and turn on the system. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the replies.

The fuel pump does not Prime at all. The engine did died on me pulling out of a parking lot a few weeks ago, but a jump and then a new battery solved things for a hot minute for a month or so. Then it just refused to start. Relay clicks, but the fuel pump does not prime.

When I touch the relay I can feel it clicking when I turn off the ignition with the defroster lighting up.

I will try to verify the fuel pump works. As it stands now its dead or power isn't reaching it. I hope its something as simple as needing a new fuel pump.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram showing the integra ground wiring?

I want to get this car running again. Its just too sweet to drive