Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1996 Acura Integra RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Acura Integra RS

Hey, I have an Acura Integra RS and it started smoking a lot. It sounded like it skipped a tooth and sure enough it did.
I tried doing the timing but i couldn't do it..... Me and my friend were at it forever and it keeps moving around.

For example,
We line up the camshafts with the dots.
We turn the Crankshaft pulley to TDC
We loosen the tensioner
Then,
I would put the belt on, I tried Intake to Exhaust and Exhaust to Intake both sides but whenever it goes on, it just moves on the crankshaft pulley and it won't be aligned with the white dot anymore...

I have allen wrench in the two holes so the camshaft pulley don't move but Why is the White dot on Crankshaft pulley and Camshafts not aligned no matter how much I try? I pull the belt and it is so tight.. even though the tensioner is loose.
Once I try to put it on, it'll just move the bottom harmonic balancer line up dot.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Acura Integra RS

The crank TDC mark will NOT line up until you tension the belt with the tension pulley. Line up the cams at TDC and put the pins in the holes to lock them in place, then get the crank as close to tdc as you can. After putting the belt on, once you tension it down then the crank should move into position and the marks will line up. Get a new tension pulley and spring too.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/u...-Procedure.pdf

I follow this guide.

I am able to line up the Cams to TDC and then the Crankshaft Pulley to the TDC white dot but I cannot put the belt on if i lock the pins in place in the cams.

Can you give a step by step guide?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Follow the factory service manual (find a copy online) and you'll be fine. Or search online for one of thousands of forums posts about this topic. The factory service manual has specific instructions on how to put the belt on. Again, just get your TDC marks as close as possible and when you get the belt on and tension it, it should move itself into the correct spot as it'll always be slightly off when not tensioned