Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

great write up!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 92 gs DA9 and my idle fluctuates sometimes between 800-500 ish maybe. so when i do it, i will screw it in less than what it was? what is normal idle for this car?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally fixed my cold-weather surging idle on my 94 Accord F22B2 after numerous tear downs, tightenings, cleanings, gasket replacements, resets, leak tests, etc. The problem in the end was that my idle was about 300 rpm too high! The idle adjustment screw had backed itself out and was acting like a vacuum leak. The idle is super easy to adjust, check it if your surging idle problem lingers after cleaning your FITV and IACV. Great thread, thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the write-up, handy to see what to expect.

When I pulled mine off (93 Civic DX) it was rattling inside, turns out it was completely unscrewed inside the housing, causing a constant searching idle, it was horribly annoying with my old, loud exhaust. I sprayed it with some break cleaner for good measure, screwed it back in as far as it would go, and it works great again...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to try this on my car, my dam idle is bugging me.
Will be back with report on it.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i have cleaned the IAC, FITV, TB(with new gasket), burped the coolant system, checked for appropriate slack in throttle cable, and used TB cleaner to check for leaks.
Still idles at 2,000 warm but when I cover the lower hole in the TB with my thumb it idles normal. Does this mean my FITV needs to be replaced? I haven't seen a post where someone cleaned the FITV with no results but replacing FITV fixed the problem. Is it possible for the FITV to be defective thus no amount of cleaning would help?

p.s. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with my FITV when I took it apart. Just a little dirty.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (no2unenolife)

Originally Posted by IlIkEg's
WORD.

Just attempted to do this the other day and discovered that the screw inside was backed all the way out so it was just chillin in there not working at all. And to think for about 4 months i've been driving around with idle problems, all because of 1 fuggin screw.

Is this that white part in the pictures of the write up? Because i think all of our honda has this problem here and I've already cleaned the iacv with carb cleaner and idle is a lot smoother now but still fluctuates so I'm going to try this this weekend and see if that's my resolve. It only does this when its cold but once the car warms up, the car drives fine and idles still fluctuates a bit.

Nice write up and thanks for the info
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just got done doin this and so far so good pretty much self explainatory. did it in about 30 mins.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So just a warning to anyone thats not a pro at this, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE WAX SCREW ALL THE WAY DOWN!!! this can cause the wax screw to get stuck. i did this and got the screw back out but now i cant get it back in i either figure out how to force it in or buy a new one....
Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got my fitv fixed and screwed in fine (not forced) and even with it all the way in, my car idles at 500.... i need ideas.

Last edited by rice117; 04-17-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: i COMPLETELY misread this..... ugh time to go take it off a 5th time....
Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope this works for me.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GRAFH
You forgot to replace the 0-ring and 3 gaskets. They get hard over time.
Very true. I cleaned the eacv and the fitv but my car never idled correcty until I replaced all the gaskets. They're only a few bucks each. I replaced all the gaskets, water hoses and clamps for the entire idle control system for about $50 from majestic Honda. My 95 civic ex coupe idles like a champ now.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Trial User

Hello All!

I haven't seen a posting about the symptoms my car has yet. It is really odd.

I have a 1994 OBD1 B16A2 with a 1994 P72 GRS Ecu. When I start my car cold it barely idles at 300 rpm, as soon as it begins warming up the idle increases all the way to 1100 rpm when at operating temperature. It also misses under a load and at idle. I have replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, IACV, TB gasket, and bled the coolant system. I'm at a loss...I can't accurately time it because it idles so high and misses when warm.

Any insight?

Thanks, Josh
Old 05-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16_civicjosh
Hello All!

I haven't seen a posting about the symptoms my car has yet. It is really odd.

I have a 1994 OBD1 B16A2 with a 1994 P72 GRS Ecu. When I start my car cold it barely idles at 300 rpm, as soon as it begins warming up the idle increases all the way to 1100 rpm when at operating temperature. It also misses under a load and at idle. I have replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, IACV, TB gasket, and bled the coolant system. I'm at a loss...I can't accurately time it because it idles so high and misses when warm.

Any insight?

Thanks, Josh
Did you clean your EACV? How long has it been since you changed the o2 sensor? How old are your fuel and air filters? Have you had your fuel pressure checked?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Trial User

Lerts see if yall can help me out on this one,Starts up fine,ok, but as soon as the car is warmed up there is no idle.I have a OBD1 to OBD2 converted B18B1 in a 98 civic.

FYI,It stared acting up with the O2 sensor but has been replaced,Let me know
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Trial User

Sry about the spelling,Not the best key board
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Trial User

Okay so
I have Read through multiple pages to belp lead ms to my problem.

When start up and any time after that i have a irregular idle issue.'about 2000 rpm to'2300 rpm, and then down to 1200'to 1500 rpm once warmer.

I recently did head gasket, didnt do it before this gasket job. Spayed looking for vacumm leak. Nothing.. So i took off iacv and cleaned it, nothig. Any other ideas?
Its. 1988 honda crx d15b2 block.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Trial User

My 98 Ek is still having issues with the LS Swap,No idle at operating temp,Idles fine when cold,Im sure its a wireing issue,Could I bypass all the sensors on the Intake and throttle body witha chip kit?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Trial User

Was hoping i had one of these. MY IDLE SUCKS!!! lol 2000 accord v6 lx coupe
Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I seriously just wanna say thank you to the OP. This DIY and the IACV DIY ended my constant idle surging that has happened since i owned the car. Also,wanted to point out to everyone that this is almost as easy as it can get on a 93 accord. Like i literally didnt even know what an intake manifold was when i first read this DIY this morning,and now i have fixed my idle surge and the car is running like a ****in champ

Great guide,period,has helped countless people for sure.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Trial User

I have a b18a1 swap into my civic ek hatch and it idles 2k to 3k up and down on cold start and after the engine warms up, it idles from 1100 to 2100 up and down, I've trie cleaning my iacv twice already and found this thread and just cleaned my fitv today too, but nothing works. I also tried to add more coolant and bleed the air bubble out, but first time doing this so I don't if Im doing it right. And I also messed around with idle screw but didn't stop the idle problem, and check the throttle cable and was lose which is suppose to be. But now I have no idea where to turn to next. I'm getting tired and annoyed of this idle and thinking about selling it, but I want to fix it more than selling this car, help!! Sorry I'm a newb at this
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

This thread rules!! Huge Thanks for the write up and all the comments. It really helped a lot.

I have a 1997 that does not have the kind of FITV that is pictured here, I have the smaller IACV solenoid version.
But check this out!! I opened it up anyways just to investigate and sprayed carb cleaner in it.
It had the same white springy accordian thing in it also and a really dirty (sooty) screen in there. I couldn't really open it up so I just spray rinsed cleaner it there a hand full of times.
I'm thinking it may have "lubed" it up by doing that, but I wonder if actual lube like wd40 or even light machine oil would be good for it??

I put it back on and my idle was way smoother than before I cleaned it.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried it on the newer solenoid IACV with positive results like I got.
Many thanks again!!

Last edited by TrippyZippy; 08-26-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i cleaned both my IACV and FITV now on my 95 sol d16, and still not better...
Only surges when warming up...maybe replace the little gaskets between the fitv and the tb?

EDIT: Topped/bled the coolant today/already cleaned the TB, still no fix...

Last edited by Musicninja007; 09-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ninja: you should always replace gaskets when you can. Even if that's not what's causing the problem, gaskets lose effectiveness as they get older so there's no reason not to replace them while your working on those parts. The gaskets are only a few dollars each from hondaautomotiveparts.com. That's one of the main things this write-up fails to mention(I think, been a while since I read it). You should replace all associated gaskets EVERY time you perform this procedure. Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Trial User

Did clean out tHe IACV and the FITV help but is still doing it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve